Puppy Raiser Application
Apply to be a Puppy Raiser for Guide Dogs of the Desert
Steps to Becoming a Puppy Raiser
- Fill out a Puppy Raiser application (see below)
- A member of the Puppy Department will contact you to set up a phone interview. During this interview, a Puppy Department team member will discuss the program and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be asked to provide photos and or videos of your home, showing areas that the puppy will be residing: sleeping area, eating area, front and back yard (if applicable). This will allow us to discuss with you the best options for keeping both the puppy and your home safe.
- Orientation Zoom call with the Puppy Department with your entire family (puppy raising requires a commitment from the entire household). This call will introduce you to the Puppy Department Staff and facilitate discussion about the program, training aspects and raiser responsibilities.
- Applicants will be notified of approval into the program or encouraged to pursue potentially more suitable volunteer opportunities with Guide Dogs of the Desert
- Approved raisers are then required to attend at least 2 outings or meetings prior to receiving your puppy. This will allow you to meet your future support system, get a feel for our training methods, and ask more questions.
- Approved homes that have attended at least one meeting will be asked to “puppy sit” a current program puppy for a minimum of two nights. Temporary care for a puppy can help prepare future raisers to understand the commitment they are signing up for.
- After completing the above tasks, and you and Guide Dogs of the Desert are satisfied with the interview process, we will place you on the waiting list for a puppy. Your wait on the list could range between one week and six months before a puppy becomes available. You are encouraged to continue to attend meetings and provide puppy sitting during this period!
Once your puppy is available, you will be notified and asked to attend an orientation meeting. Immediately following this orientation, Puppy Raisers will be given a puppy to raise along with all the necessary supplies to get you started with the dog.
* If you have any questions or would like more information about this program, please reach out to the Puppy Department at 760-329-6257