Be a part of the mission – help Guide Dogs of the Desert
Volunteer Opportunities with Guide Dogs of the Desert
- Tour Guides: Welcome visitors and conduct tours of the Training Center. Provide an overview of our mission and how we achieve it, and also discuss how others can become involved in our activities.
- Speaker’s Bureau: A group of volunteers trained to speak to Lion’s Clubs, Community groups and schools in California and across the United States to make the public aware of who we are, what we do, how we do it and how they can help. This is a volunteer based program that includes puppy raisers, graduates, area coordinators and others who are dedicated to providing information about the mission of Guide Dogs of the Desert and educating the public as to how Guide Dogs of the Desert provides opportunities to the blind for safe mobility, loving companionship and the “miracle of independence.
- Student Interaction: During classes, volunteers may be needed to drive students to religious services, medical appointments, shopping, or community events.
- Puppy Raisers: Puppy Raisers take 12 week-old puppies into their homes until they reach 18-22 months of age. Our puppy raisers share their love and time to help a visually impaired person by giving guide dog puppies a special upbringing. Puppy raisers provide obedience and manners training that serve as the foundation for future guide dog training.
- Brood/Stud Fosters: These volunteers serve as foster families for dogs active in the breeding program. Fosters are responsible for keeping the dog in excellent physical condition and providing a safe, loving environment for our valuable breeding stock.
- Assist in Special Events: Work at various events that support our organizations such as graduations, booth volunteers and fundraising.
- Take Action – Be A Volunteer for A Great Cause